Monday, June 13, 2016

LGBT EXPERIENCES

ME: What did your mom first say when you told her you were a lesbian?
HER: "She said, 'just make sure she doesn't break your heart,'" -Kiera (middle), 15

ME: What would you say to someone your age who lives in a city that is not as accepting as DC? 
HER: “I would say try to go somewhere that is more accepting. Or go on the internet, because there’s a lot of online communities that are really accepting and really friendly.” -Randy, 15

ME: It's #LGBT pride week, what makes you proud to be #lgbtq? "
HER: Just having that support around you and knowing there are other people with you. It's more acceptable now and people don't really care, I like that." -Mary, 15


ME: What would you tell her if she came out as trans or lesbian?
HIM: "I would say, 'Thank you for telling me.' I wouldn't tell her anything particular. I am fine as long as she is happy." -Luis, 34 with Sophia, 2

ME: Like the @ladygaga song, 'Born This Way,' do you believe you were born this way?
HIM: "I believe that as far I could remember I was gay. People have the right to chase whatever it is you want to chase because you can't help who you are. Everything is built for a reason." -Darius, 22

ME: What would you say to a teen who is nervous about coming out?
HER: "Fuck it. Do it. Don't be scared, be who you are." -Phylicia (right), 28

HER: "We are all human, we are all the same, there should be no title to who you are." -Lauren, 18
ME: How did your dad react when you told him you were LGBT? 
HER: "Well, he didn't have a problem with it. He just thought that my goddaughter was my girlfriend, which she definitely wasn't." -Leisha, 19
ME: What would you say to your high-school self, before you came out? 
HIM: "Don't be afraid to be yourself. You may think some people may not like who you are, but you have to stay true to you. Staying true to you are will be the most rewarding thing that's happens in your life." -Rahkai, 20

ME: How did your parents feel after they found out you were bisexual? 
HER: “My mom was like, ‘Are you sure this isn’t just a phase? I mean, you were in that environmental club for a while.’ I’m like, ‘I’m sure this isn’t just a phase mom.’ She just kind of hoped it would go away. And you know, it didn’t.” – Trish, 46

ME: What would you say to your daughter if she told you she's in love with a woman?
HER:"I stand behind you 100% and love you unconditionally."
-Chase (mom), 21

HER: "This year, I think we should do whatever we want with our clothing and express ourselves. It's a good year to be out," -Raenita, 25
ME: Why is it important to celebrate lgbt pride?
HER: "It's important because it gives the lgbt people a place to come together, especially in DC where there is a big community. It is more impactful when we are together. When we don't all come together, it can feel like you are all by yourself." -Briana, 19

 "What happened in Orlando last night is heartbreaking and tragic. I'm originally from Florida but I'm here today in DC celebrating gay pride. No one should ever endure that loss." Alexis, 26

HER: "I'm not out."
ME: So is talking to ME right now, your first time coming out?!
HER: "I guess, hahaha," -Sara, 21

ME: It's been a year since gay marriage was legalized in all 50 states, how has that impacted your life? 
HER: "We felt a lot better about getting engaged. We actually got engaged a few weeks after because it didn't feel as weird. But you know, there's still a lot of prejudice." -Brooke, 22
HER: "I love daddy. And I love papa,"
-Sasha, 2
HIM: "At the end of the day, we are all human beings. Your sexuality has nothing to do with who you are as a person. Taking someone's life, just because you don't agree with someone's lifestyle, is really sad. It's disheartening," -Raymond (right), 38

HIM: "As a disabled and queer person, inclusion is really important because my life is the intersection of these two identities," Diago, 24
ME: What is your one favorite thing about her?
HER: "Everything but mainly her eyes and personality." -Laura, 31 (right), next to Elisa, 31
HIM:  "First Pride ever being out," -Tre, 23
 HER: "I've experienced a lot of bullying but I have come a long way from that place. Because I've been out for so long, everyone I know accepts me." -Allie, 26
ME: What would you say to her if she told you she likes girls?
HER: "I think I would want her to feel open enough with me to talk to me about what was on her mind." -Mia (mom), 35
ME: What was your most heartbreaking relationship? 
HIM: "He cheated on me. I found out from my friends and they showed me pictures. He lied to me...it was pretty hard." -Ray, 22

2 comments

  1. Your work in the world is gorgeous, necessary, and powerful. I'm so glad you are you, Murugi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Professor Young! I have no idea how much I appreciate you!! <3 <3

      Delete